There are many versions of this cake with orange so lemon make a nice change. The recipe is easy to make and yields a fresh, moist cake with a lovely lemon flavour. It is very important that you use unwaxed lemons as you use all of the lemon, including the skin. I use erythritol from my health food shop as a subsitute to sugar. You can substitute this with another sugar substitute if you wish. This is such an easy cake to make but looks and tastes as if you have taken great care. Fool visitors with this one!
Recipe from http://divaliciousrecipesinthecity.com/
2 lemons, unwaxed (and organic if available)
200g erythritol (or other sugar subsitute)
250g ground almonds
- Wash the lemons, put them in a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Leave to cook gently for about 45 minutes. Leave to cool. Drain the lemons and cut them into pieces to remove any pips. Put the lemons into a food processor and whizz to a puree.
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F degrees.
- Line a 20cm springform cake tin with baking parchment.
- Whisk the eggs and erythritol together for about 5 minutes until they are very pale and thick.
- Whisk in the lemon puree, then fold in the ground almonds.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If it gets too brown, cover lightly with a piece of greaseproof paper.
- Cool the cake in the tin, then turn over carefully and remove the paper.
- Eat and enjoy!