This gluten free bread recipe is as close to the real thing as you can get. Simple to make too! They can be made with either almond or coconut flour. I’ve listed the ingredients for the recipe with almond flour but the recipe link will lead you to the ingredients for the coconut flour version. The recipe contains psyllium husk power (it MUST be the powder) which seems to act as the binding ingredient. This is a great ingredient for intestinal health. It contains a spongy fibre that reduces appetite, improved digestion and cleanses the system and is very high in fibre. Just make sure you drink plenty of water. I purchased my psyllium powder from Saver Centre, but the health food shops here should sell it too.
Recipe from http://divaliciousrecipesinthecity.com/
- They have air pockets! Just like the real thing.
1 1/2 cup almond flour
5 tblspns psyllium husk powder
2 tspn baking powder
1 tspn salt
2 1/2 tblspns apple cider vinegar
3 egg whites
7/8 cup boiling water.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add the egg whites and vinegar and mix thoroughly.
- Add the boiling water and mix until the mixture firms up into a dough.
- The dough will be a bit sticky, so wet your hands, and make either rolls or a sub shape. Place onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool (they are not as good warm)
- Eat and enjoy!!
Makes 4 – 5 Servings depending upon the size of your rolls.